The hunger crisis continues to threaten millions of Americans. According toa recent report by Feeding America, the nation’s largest hunger relief organization, 53 million people received food assistance from the charitable sector in 2021. That’s roughly one in six Americans who are struggling to put food on the table. Every month, many families must decide whether to buy food or pay their medical or utility bills.
With the urgent message that food shouldn’t be an impossible choice, September has been designated as Hunger Action Month. Feeding America and other organizations are once again using this time to shine a light on our country’s ongoing food insecurity dilemma.
According toFeeding America the Covid-19 pandemic has only worsened what was already a major crisis. Families are currently facing a 10% increase in the cost of buying groceries, while food banks are simultaneously confronting declining food donations and paying 40% more for food purchases to keep up with the demand for assistance.
What You Can Do
During Hunger Action Month, there are many ways you can get involved and help make a real difference in your community.
- Donate: Obviously making a donation — of money or food — to a local hunger-relief group or a national umbrella organization is the most immediate course of action. Funds and food help expand the resources available to those in need.
- Volunteer: There are several ways you can give your time, including lending a hand at a food bank, soup kitchen, or mobile distribution event; organizing or participating in a food drive; or checking in with your local hunger-relief organization to find out how your skills may be best able to help make a tangible impact.
- Speak Up: You can raise awareness by talking about the severity of the crisis with your family and friends and on social media (using the hashtag #HungerActionMonth to help amplify your words). The more people who understand how dire the situation is, the more likely change will come.
- Vote: Make a pledge to support officials and laws that will help ensure that every American can avoid hunger, whether that be from free or reduced-price school meals, food-assistance programs, or other hunger-relief legislation.
- Save the Date: Friday, September 23 is Hunger Action Day, when people across the country are encouraged to raise awareness to this crisis. This could be the perfect day to get started on your mission to end hunger.
Support Nunbelievable’s Impact Partners
Feeding America is leading the way on this crusade, which is why Nunbelievable is proud to work with them as an impact partner. Their mission is anchored by a network of 200 food banks and more than 60,000 partner agencies in every congressional district in the country. Find out more about how to get involved with their Hunger Action Month activitieshere.
We also encourage you to support our other impact partners, includingCity Relief, theNorth Texas Food Bank, theHouse of Mercy,World Vision, andJoshua’s Heart. For every Nunbelievable purchase you make, we make a donation to one of these inspiring organizations. We’ve already metour first major goal of donating one million meals, and now we are aiming to raise that number to 10 million meals by the end of 2023. Read more about our missionhere.Follow Nunbelievable on Facebook and Instagram and share with us how you’re making a difference during Hunger Action Month.